Wednesday, February 15, 2012

And So It Begins


Photography records the gamut of feelings written on the human face, the beauty of the earth and skies than man has inherited, and the wealth and confusion man has created. It is a major force in explaining man to man - Edward Steichen.

I saw this quote recently and thought it just about summed up my feelings about photography and my work.  I enjoy posting my work to photography gallery sites such as 500px, but the real shortcoming of sites such as that (beyond the petty childrens' games in which some immature submitters indulge) is the limited opportunity to accompany the images with text and/or the occasional witticism or bon mot. 

That, and he comments and questions I received about the work I posted prompted me to revive this blog. Seems to me that there is a growing interest in street photography and many shooters who want to try their hand at it, but very little discussion on how to proceed.

Secondly, I sensed a growing interest in presenting material as b/w images. Most of the attempts by the contributors on 500px and other sites that I have checked appear to have the same conceptual and processing issues. 

So, to address these issues, to have a venue that allows me to display my work without the overhead of using someone else's strictures and restrictions, and to be able to present material that needs to be grouped together, I hope to develop this blog and a following for it. I encourage you to make comments and suggestions, and most importantly to ask questions. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. I look forward to many joyful hours of writing my submissions and reading your feedback.

All images posted here, on my 500px portfolio, and on my website are available for purchase. If you have a problem on my website finding the purchase information, please contact me through the site, or leave a comment for me here and I will definitely get back to you.

Thanks for dropping by.