Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sometimes You Get Lucky




I went into New York City the other day specifically to visit a photo gallery to see the work of Vivian Maier (street photographer). There has been quite a stir this past year about the discovery of her work, so I was curious to see what it was all about. I'll save that for another post. The reason I mention it is because usually when I go with something specific in mind to do, and plan time afterwards (or before) to walk around and do some shooting, I rarely get anything good. I need to be totally focused on shooting to really be in the groove, and even then I sometimes come home with nothing worth investing time in. When I'm focused, most of the time I get a few good shots, rarely a whole bunch.

I was walking across 14th Street and passed through a crowd of people. When I got through them I  walked past a character doing crazy stuff. Nothing unusual about that. New York is full of them. But my mind was half a block ahead (bad boy!). I registered his face in the back of my mind, then stopped dead in my tracks - I thought I had photographed him before, didn't know where or when, but he was doing the same crazy stuff with his hands. So I doubled back and grabbed some shots. I'm glad I did. I got the money shot for the day.

When I got home I dug through my archives and found the first shot I took. It was on July 4th, 2009, on the pedestrian walk of Hudson River Park. When I look at the shots side by side, I'm not 100% sure it's the same guy, but they're sooooo close. Same eyes, ears, mouth, cheeks, hat position, and hand motion. The only difference I can see is the nose. You tell me ......

You can click on each photo to see it full size.