Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Hats, Hats, Hats ....

I spent a few hours this afternoon on the Lower East Side - the neighborhood of my ongoing project Manhattan Diaspora. I didn't get a chance to do much shooting though, this was an afternoon of meetings and shmoozing to generate some interest in the work that I'm doing .... not my favorite thing to do, but absolutely essential if this project is to go anywhere. The response from the people I met with was quite enthusiastic. How that translates into concrete support remains to be seen.

Orchard Street is still a street of small shops - haberdasheries, hat shops, lingerie, shoe stores, fabric stores. But many of the spaces on the street have been converted to trendy restaurants, coffee shops, and bars. Gentrification is not always a good thing.

Orchard Street hat shop

No comments:

Post a Comment