Monday, September 8, 2014

An Afternoon in Crown Heights

This past Sunday I spent a few hours in Crown Heights, Brooklyn to gather material for a long term project on which I've been working. I've also visited Williamsburg to collect similar images, where I've encountered a bit of hostility. Not so in Crown Heights. The people couldn't have been more friendly. Generally the afternoon Mincha service begins at this time of year at about 3:15pm with some singing just prior to it. I arrived at the synagogue at about 2:45 to find that many of the people from the neighborhood had gathered outside to await a funeral procession. To be able to experience that ritual was an added bonus to the whole experience of the day.

Waiting outside for the funeral:





Inside the synagogue just before the Mincha service:




The beginning of the service:



No comments:

Post a Comment