Sunday, November 23, 2014

Fuji X with Flash

Using an on camera flash has always been a bit of a crapshoot for me. In my DSLR days I shot TTL or TTL-fill flash and took the results as they were. But learning a few principles and practicing using them can allow for much more flexibility, so I spent the afternoon yesterday with an experienced friend and experimented a bit. The Fuji EF-20 is a power packed little unit, with a guide number of 20 meters (about 65 feet) that allows for five different power modes in increments of 1/2 stops. When we went our separate ways the evening light was well underway, so I had a chance to play a bit on my walk back to Penn Station.

My goal was to understand how to shoot with the flash with the camera in completely manual mode - except for autofocus, using shutter speed and aperture to control the effects of the flash and ambient light, and how to use ISO in conjunction with them.

Here's a few shots with the flash, and some shots I took during the afternoon without flash (those are his big feet on the right in the first image):








No comments:

Post a Comment