Friday, June 7, 2013

A Dog's Best Friend

I've been deeply immersed in a project that I began last year. It was only in the past few months, after returning repeatedly to the same area of Manhattan, that I decided to really concentrate on making it into a coherent presentation. I need to lighten up a little and visit other of my favorite parts of the city just for a change. And so I can get some images to post on the blog.

On Tuesday I received my latest new toy for the Fuji X-Pro1 - the new 55-200mm zoom lens. Translated into FX terms it's about 80-300mm. This is not a focal range that I customarily shoot with, but for concert photography it's perfect, I think. I'm hitting the streets this weekend to give it a spin, and on Sunday I'm hoping to get to a bluegrass festival to really test it out. I shot with it on Wednesday for a little while, but nothing serious, just some test shots. Since I always use the OVF with my current lenses, shooting at the long end of this new lens is going to take some adjustment - I have to use the EVF. I was particularly interested in checking to see how effective the OIS (optical image stabilization) worked so I shot at 300mm with a shutter speed of 1/60th second. That's about three stops slower than what the minimum should be. The OIS is a blessing for an old guy with slightly shaky hands. More to come about this lens after the festival.

I took this image on Bleecker Street in Greenwich Village several months ago - with my favorite 14mm lens. I'm a sucker for dogs, can't help it. I never met a dog I didn't like. And in this case his transportation was also easy on the eyes. I'm old, but I'm not dead!



No comments:

Post a Comment