Thursday, August 22, 2013

Lower East Side Update

Several days ago I posted an image of a gentleman I met in a shop on Grand Street, and I mentioned that he was a 96 year old hero who had survived Auschwitz Concentration Camp. I need to correct his age, he's 98 years old. Quite amazing. I hope to be able to be able to spend more time with him and do more posts about his story.

After discussing the project with another documentary photographer, I spent more time in the neighborhood and have become more committed to completing the entire project with a set of images 'twenty years later'. This is going to take a considerable commitment of time and energy but, as with anything else, the rewards will be in direct proportion to my effort.

In 1993 I visited a book bindery on Henry Street aptly enough called Henry Bookbinding and was allowed by the owner, Sholom Halpert, to shoot some film. I revisited the shop and was cordially welcomed by Mr. Halpert and invited to do more images. The first two images are digital scans of negatives that were shot in 1993:



And this is from my recent visit to the shop:



No comments:

Post a Comment