Monday, September 23, 2013

East Side Glatt

While walking around the Lower East Side, on several occasions I stopped into the East Side Glatt store on Grand Street. It's like focal point of the neighborhood that everyone stops at some time during their week. The first time I saw the store was in August on my first trip back to the neighborhood when I decided to revisit the work I had done of the community twenty years ago. I posted a blog entry about meeting 98 year old concentration camp survivor Max Davidowitz (with whom I hope to spend more time as the project unfolds). The owner of the store invited me to explore the back story (behind the double doors and down the stairs) and take whatever photos I wanted.

This is Baruch Weiss, proprietor of the establishment:



And the charming Eddie Brown, who has lived in the neighborhood his whole life:



And Raphael Estevez - he was kind enough to offer me some of those yummie looking potato latkes that he was cooking up:



But the highlight of any visit to the store is chatting with the social director (and ham - yes, yes, it's a kosher store) Nurit Bendavid, who would never forgive me if I didn't include a photo of her:





 

No comments:

Post a Comment