Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Still Blocked But Working On It

I'm trying everything. Going to neighborhoods that I'm familiar with, neighborhoods that I've never been to before, using different lenses, etc., etc. Ideas are tickling the back of my mind, but they're not quite breaking through. A friend of mine, whom I know for many years, always reminds me that when I'm faced with a problem or a difficult situation, 'Run towards the canons!' I could sit at home and read nice books, or look at photo books to try to get inspired, or a host of other things. But to be honest, the only thing that's worked in the past, and I'm sure will work now, is to do as my friend says. Get off my ass, pick up the camera, and shoot.

One of my favorite blocks to walk is 47th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues. It's the Diamond District of NYC. The retail jewelry stores that front the street are just the tip of the iceberg. The real business is in a few office buildings, behind closed doors. And probably 90% of the people in the business are Jewish, quite a few are Hasidic, most are at least very observant. There's an interesting flick on YouTube of a bunch of idiot Palestinian demonstrators who marched through the district to stage a mini-demonstration, but was met with everyone pouring out of the stores and office buildings to counter demonstrate and swarm the idiots. I felt like cheering after seeing the clip.

I've been on that block a few times in the past week to try to break the block, and plan to visit again tomorrow. Here's a few shots:








No comments:

Post a Comment